Classified Rates — $55 for 50 words; 65 cents each additional word.
Display Rates (full color only; the Recorder no longer accepts b/w display ads) —
- Back cover: $3,950
- Full inside page: $3,650
- 1/2-pg: $2,120
- 1/4-pg: $1,150
- 1/8-pg: $575
- Per inch: $135
2013 Deadlines (pdf) downloadable
- January: November 27, 2012
- February: January 3, 2013
- March: January 29, 2013
- April: February 26, 2013
- May: March 26, 2013
- June: April 30, 2013
- July: May 28, 2013
- August: June 25, 2013
- September: July 30, 2013
- October: August 27, 2013
- November: October 1, 2013
- December: October 29, 2013
- January 2014: November 26, 2013
An additional fee of 25% of the ad rate will be added to all display ads requiring design or re-design to meet specifications. For example, any display ad that arrives in Microsoft Word or Publisher or is the wrong size will have to be re-done.
Classified ads must be prepaid. Please call 805-413-7280 with a credit card or mail checks payable to:
Pacific Union Recorder
P.O. Box 5005
Westlake Village, CA 91359-5005
Display advertisers will receive an invoice after the issue runs. Please remit payment as soon as you receive the invoice. Of course, display ads may be prepaid, as well. If you are considering buying half-page or larger ads in several union magazines, we recommend exploring the National Buy program. You'll save money!
Seventh-day Adventist Church-owned schools of all levels receive a 25% discount on display advertising. Please see the rate sheet for specific costs.
Advertisers may lower their rates by placing advertising on a contract basis.
- 6 within 12 months = 10%
- 12 consecutive months = 15%
Classified ad contracts must be prepaid in full to qualify for the discount.
Display ads that are paid monthly will lock in the specified discount, but not the rate. (For example, if you contract for 12 months starting in July 2012 and pay monthly, you receive 15% off the 2012 rate for July through December, and 15% off the 2013 rate for January through June.
Display ads that are prepaid in full for the entire contract lock in both the discount and the rate at the time of the first ad run. (For example, if you contract for 12 months starting in July 2012, you will receive the 2012 rate and the 15% discount through June 2013.) However, 12-month contracts that start in the last three months of a calendar year do not qualify for the locked rate.
Union Department Discounts
Pacific Union departments may receive up to three quarter-page ads free of charge to promote union-wide events sponsored by their department. Ads may be combined, such as one half-page ad and one quarter-page ad. Free design services may or may not be included, depending on staff availability. Please make your request at least one month before the deadline of the desired issue. You may not sub-lease your complimentary ad space.
Free Classified Ads
The following entities may qualify for free classified ad space to advertise specific things:
- Adventist churches, elementary schools and academies within the Pacific Union advertising their own used furniture, equipment or supplies for sale.
- Non-profit organizations whose boards of directors and constituencies are mainly Adventist may announce their constituency meetings in the Bulletin Board section.
- Adventist schools and churches within the Pacific Union may announce their alumni reunions and home-coming weekends.
Refunds will be issued only if an error is made by the Recorder in either printing or content. Position is not guaranteed (except for the back cover), and an ad run out of the expected position will not constitute grounds for a refund.
Printing of advertisements, whether display or classified, will be entirely at the discretion of the editor and/or editorial board. The Recorder assumes no responsibility for the content of advertisements or the claims of advertisers. Advertising is limited to Adventists in regular standing except where a service may be rendered to our members.
Preferred Ad Formats
Please maintain a minimum resolution of 300 dpi (max. 400) and minimal or no compression.
Minimum ad size is one column inch, available in whole inches only (no half-inch rates). Ads should be "camera-ready;" that is, they should not require resizing or retyping to fit. Otherwise, advertisers will be notified and charged the Design Fee. Ads should come via e-mail or on CD in high resolution (300+ dpi) in the proper format. Microsoft Word is NOT an acceptable format, and will require a re-design fee. If applicable, all fonts and links must be included. Ads are available on a first-come, first-served, space-available basis.
Printing of advertisements, whether display or classified, will be entirely at the discretion of the editor and/or editorial board. The Recorder assumes no responsibility for the content of advertisements or the claims of advertisers; use common sense to evaluate the value of the product or service. Advertising is limited to Adventists in regular standing except where a service may be rendered to our members.
The Recorder prints, at no charge and as space is available, obituaries of constituent members who have passed away within the previous six months. Obits will also be printed, as space permits, for those who were not members in the Pacific Union at the time of death, but whose passing may interest Pacific Union members. Please email the An Rest notice in the same format you see in the magazine to email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- Deceased: Last name, first name, middle name or initial, maiden name (if applicable), title (Jr., II, etc.), date of birth (month/day/year), city of birth, state of birth, date of death (month/day/year), city of death, state of death.
- Survivors: provide first and last names of survivors, plus the relationship of each to the deceased, in this order: spouse, sons, stepsons, daughters, stepdaughters, parents, siblings.
- Others: Do not list other friends or relatives such as spouses of family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, friends, roommates.
- List number or grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren.
- Identifying information. The Recorder may print up to 25 words of biographical information related to denominational employment or service that made the deceased known to a large group of members, such as: "Taught Bible and history at San Diego Academy for 35 years," or "Conference Pathfinder director for 15 years, Pathfinder coordinator or 20 years." The Recorder will not print information not related to the church, such as "Collected vintage Rolls Royces," "Served as a church elder," or "Received Silver Star for bravery in second world war."